About Me

My photo
I love science, physics, art, history, nursing. I am a nurse, and want to share my love of these topics and how to be healthier, and more awesome! :)

Monday, November 5, 2012

Finished my DragonFly Painting! Original Oil

  Its on a 8x10 panel. this is the first oil painting I have done. That has been 100% oils and not mixed media. I can get so much more detail with oils than acrylics.  I just need to have 4 paintings going on at once because you have to wait a day or week ( depending on how thick you put on your paint) between layers.
 I  really appreciate this medium and plan to enroll in a class at the local at museum to learn more.

 I love dragonflies they are my favorite insects. They are elegant, precise and prehistoric looking!

During the Permian Period  ( this is way before the dinosaurs) there were giant dragonflies with wingspans of almost 2ft!
 I would have loved to see that! :)  Too bad I can't travel back in time.  These ginormous dragon flies were also called griffin flies
 Here is a fossil  of one of those giant beauties:
 They were also predatory eating small insects and amphibians! That would have been a terrifying and awesome site!

No comments:

Post a Comment